Monday, September 17, 2007

Humble Pie - Again - or was it just plain Crow??? !!

I have issues…….. do any of you recognize that in me?? It’s true – I really do have issues.

David was out of town this past weekend, and Caleb had a friend spend the night Friday night. This little guy has never spent the night away from home before (that’s another story) and in order to keep them busy, I checked out PPV and there was absolutely NOTHING worth watching – at least not that I wanted to pay $4 to rent. Knowing that the friend loved dinosaurs as much as Caleb, I decided to rent Jurassic Park and Madagascar…… opposite ends of the spectrum in the movie world, but I digress. When I went to pay for the movies that I had selected I was informed that I had a $12 late fee. I haven’t even been to this store in years because David usually gets the movies in Paris on his way home from work– which is why I was there in the first place since David was out of town. I said, “What?” And she said, ‘You have a $12 late fee due.” I asked again, to be sure I had heard correctly and was assured that there was in fact a $12 late fee due. I told her that I hadn’t rented movies there in years, and so she checked the records and informed me that the $12 late fee was from 2004 for 3 movies that had been left 2 days late in the drop box. It was at this point (since I had already decided that I was NOT paying a late fee for something that Nathan had probably rented because I’m just NOT that nice), that I told her “Fine, if I can’t rent these movies I understand. But I can assure you that I am NOT paying a fine that is 3 years old.” She said, “Well, OK that’ll be $4, and they’re due on Saturday by 4:00 p.m.”. I paid and left – quite happy with my self. (My prayers for humility don’t seem to be working at this point – or maybe they are!)

NOTE TO SELF – Do NOT return these movies late. On Sunday morning when I was getting ready for church, I realized the stupid movies were late. I really thought about leaving them with $4 in the drop box, but decided I’d just take them inside, pay the late fee and vow to NEVER rent movies there again – because of course, it’s all their fault. Sara was with me and as I got out of the car, she said “You’d better hope it’s not the same person working!” And I secretly agreed! When I got inside, it was someone different working, and I was encouraged. I walked up to the counter and said, “These are late. How much do I owe you?” I was thoroughly expecting to pay ALL of my fees, when she very politely said, “Tell you what, I’ll only charge you for one movie since it was a very busy weekend for everyone!”

OMG - I ate Humble Pie AGAIN this weekend. It’s getting REALLY old. You'd think I'd begin to develop a taste for it....... Or wait - maybe I am - maybe that's why I keep eating it... Hmmm?

2 comments:

Kathy said...

You've been on a writing streak since I last visited! Great job! Humble pie with a side order of crow is a dish I'm all too familiar with too, Girlfriend. ;-)

Anonymous said...

TOO FUNNY!!!!

Something tells me you're being prepared for something.