Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Don't Panic.......

I had the opportunity to work at a 'Great Banquet' this past weekend. It's sort of like being faculty at church camp (Rewarding and Fun!) Great Banquet, is the same thing as a 'Walk to Emmaus'. And for those who are unfamiliar, it is a spiritual journey in which Guests spend 72-hours completely separated from the world so that they can spend time focusing on their relationship with God - growing in their faith, renewing their faith, and seeing the love of Jesus in a very special way. There are no cell phones, watches, tv's, radio's........... I don't know about you, but I call that being TRULY separated from the world and it is well worth the time. In fact, there is no contact with your family........ outside of an extreme emergency. Once you've experienced this 72-hour journey, you may find that you can't wait to 'help with' or 'work' the next one because it's so much fun to show Jesus Love to others in the same way that it was shown to you.

I can almost guarantee that if you commit to going on this journey, you will not regret the time that you spend. (If you'd like to know more, please ask me. There are weekends planned for March!!!)

Now that I've tried to explain this - sort of - I would like to tell you about an interesting talk that I heard this past weekend while I worked the Great Banquet. I can’t give the entire scope of the talk here without referring to my notes, but the speaker made a very good point.

*** When things seem to be spiralling out of control, ‘DON’T PANIC’. Don't lose sight of God, and fall into Satan's trap. ***

I’ve decided to make that my new motto – DON’T PANIC. Because I tend to do just that – PANIC – when things begin to go wrong and I feel like I'm losing control. Aren't we all like that to some degree?

We feel like we’re sinking, gasping for air, falling out of control….. it’s a very scary feeling, and so we fall into ‘human-mode’ and PANIC. The rush of air that we feel is the rest of the world causing a whirlwind around us. What we should do is reach for God’s Hand that is safely wrapped around us and take comfort in the fact that we are safe and secure in His Hand.

Consider some 'greats' from the Bible........
  1. Noah didn't panic - he built an ark.
  2. Moses didn't panic - he delivered God's people from the bondage of slavery.
  3. David didn't panic - he faced (and killed!) a giant.
  4. Daniel didn't panic - he prayed to his God (and lived to tell about it!!)
  5. Saul/Paul didn't panic - he preached God's word far and wide.
  6. Jesus didn't panic - he died for you and me.
Dear Friends - DON’T PANIC……… Reach out your hand and feel God's hands firmly holding onto you!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I've been wondering how the week end went! Thanks for sharing this.