Friday, June 5, 2009

Trusting in.......... WHO????

I've read Proverbs before, but always thought that most of them were just strange little sayings that didn't make much sense. There are so many other things in the Bible that are easier to understand. Proverbs for instance, that are more straightforward (see June 2 post). I have found many that are quite interesting… and really good advice. Some are quite humorous to me, still others make good perfect sense while being easy to understand if given just a small amount of thought!

I don't know about you, but I've often had trouble with that 'trust' thing. I'm not a very trustworthy person…… Whoa… wait a minute. I think that should say I'm not a very trusting person. (I actually am a very trustworthy person!!) But seriously, it takes me some time to put my trust in something. I'm always a little skeptical. David likes to say that he's from the 'show-me' state of Missouri, and so I guess I'm often like that - 'SHOW ME' before I'll believe what you're telling me. I've reached a point in my life though, where I really do trust God whole heartedly. I know that He is sovereign - in total control. I trust Him, but it took me some years to come to that reality. I've always held back just a little, Because I, like so many others want to make my own plans, and then ask God to come alongside and help me go along that path. But I have come to a new understanding about God and 'my' plans from the following Proverbs.

Proverbs 16:9 - We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.
Proverbs 19:21- You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail.
Proverbs 20:24 - The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?

Hmmmm, it seems that they're not really my plans after all. They're HIS plans. And what's that?? HIS purpose will prevail despite the fact that I've made all of these plans. UGH. I guess my time and energy is being wasted with all of the planning. OK, so I'll let him make the plans, but I'll keep a tight rein on things so that I'm aware of all that's going on just in case any changes need to be made. Ohhh WAIT a minute… He directs my steps too? I suppose it's useless for me to try and understand. OK, I've got it now. According to Proverbs 3:5, I'm supposed to trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding; in all my ways acknowledge him, and he will make my paths straight.

WOW!! That's pretty exciting to know that my life will be less difficult, when I trust Him to take care of the details! Someone said to me recently, 'Let go and let God.' Pretty good advice, huh?!

No comments: