Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Finding your Wings

I was driving home from an awesome 'closing' of a Great Banquet weekend on Sunday evening and reflecting on how God can do so many amazing things in our lives when my phone rang. It was 'My Boy' - Nathan! He called to tell me how excited he was about leaving the next day for the Air Force. His words......... 'Mom, I can't tell you how excited I am. I am beyond excited - I'm ecstatic. This has been my dream for years, and I'm finally seeing it fulfilled.'

So it took him a few years to get to this point, and I am a very proud momma today! For many years, I've prayed for my boy to figure out what he wanted to do with his life. He's married now, and they're expecting their first child - a GIRL!!! - in January. A baby that he may not see born because he'll be gone to Tech School. I know, I know - this happens in the military ALL the time. But knowing that doesn't make it any easier.

There is a song by Mark Harris on the radio called 'Find Your Wings', and every time I hear that song, I think of Nathan. (We could apply this thought process to any of our children!) I've pasted some of the lyrics below.....

It's only for a moment you are mine to hold.
The plans that heaven has for you, will all too soon unfold.
So many different prayers I'll pray, for all that you might do.
But most of all I'll want to know, you're walking in the truth.
And if I never told you, I want you to know, as I watch you grow...
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams.
And that faith gives you the courage, to dare to do great things.
I'm here for you whatever this life brings.
So let my love give you roots, and help you find your wings.
It's not living if you don't reach for the sky.
I'll have tears as you take off, but I'll cheer as you fly.
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams.
And that faith gives you the courage, to dare to do great things.
I'm here for you whatever this life brings.
So let my love give you roots, and help you find your wings

So many times I've heard this song, and thought about Nate and how I hoped that one day he would find his wings, and follow the plan that God has for him. I know that he did that when he married Ruthie, and I know that God has a very special plan for that little baby girl that will be born in January.
I've always known that God has a special plan for Nate - as he does for each one of us. And it makes me so proud to hear Nathan say that he is finally fulfilling a dream that he's had for many years.
Not long after we ended our call on Sunday night, this song played on the radio. And I thought that it must be that God was smiling on us at that moment, and confirming that His plan too, was being fulfilled!

1 comment:

Melissa Milbourn said...

you prayed for your boy to find his wings and he ended up in the air force LOL...

seriously though, I cannot tell you how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post.

One, because I just love it for you and Nathan and God and all involved, but I also love to read it, 'cause it helps me make sense of the fact that our boy too has a dream of being in the military.

Speaking of Will. He's still young, so he could change his mind, but right now he seriously jumps up and down...seriously...he jumps up and down when he talks about it.