Thursday, January 8, 2009

Angels all around us.....

Caleb has not been sleeping very good. To make a long story short, we've been rearranging our sleeping habits for several weeks now to help him get past this situation. David or I one prays with him every night before bed. And because I've only recently discovered what is bothering him at night, I've added some things to the prayer time.

On Sunday, Missy and Denny sang a beautiful song. I don't know the name of the song, but the words just leapt out to me as something that Caleb could relate to. So I got a copy and read them to Caleb that night, and then we prayed for angels to surround our home. On Monday night, I read something else to him that was scriptural even though at this moment, I can’t recall what it was, and then we prayed again that the angels would surround our home.

On Tuesday night, I read Psalms 91:9-16 to him. I love the part that says the 'His angels will lift you up in their hands and protect you from striking your foot against a rock.' I love that He will protect us, if we acknowledge his name. This scripture is SO comforting. And then we prayed that the angels would surround our house!

Last night, when I went to pray with him I went with no scripture, no reading, nothing but prayers – not intentionally, but I just didn’t have anything that I felt led to share with him – except the prayers! And he said to me, ‘Don’t you have anything for me tonight?’ And I was immediately sorry that I hadn’t found something to give him comfort again. But I had to be honest and tell him that I didn’t have anything tonight except my prayers. And we prayed that the angels would surround our house – again! And we talked about how it felt to have that many angels surrounding us and standing guard as we slept.

He’s slept very good the past four nights and I am very grateful to God - AND to the angels for taking the night shift for us!! I'm thankful that he takes care of us in times of urgent need, and also for the way he strengthens the faith of my little guy. God is SO good, isn’t He?

To continue a trend with him though, does anyone recommend or suggest a good devo book for kids? I'd love to start doing something with him every night, because honestly this isn't something we do very good together as a family. Maybe we can start something new in 2009!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I know there are some good ones out there but I haven't had experience with any. Cruise the local Christian book stores and you won't be disappointed. I LOVE this post. What a beautiful tradition to start.

Melissa Milbourn said...

Praise God that he's sleeping better!! YAY!!

Gretchen said...

This morning in my devotion time I read a prayer that I prayed over each of my kids. Maybe you could type it out for him and he could read it himself, whenever he feels he needs it.

Father, I pray that you will command Your angels to guard Caleb in all his ways. May he love and acknowledge Your name, and as he does so, please rescue and protect him. Answer him when he calls on You. Be with him in trouble. Deliver and honor him. Show him Your salvation and satisfy him with a long life (Psalm 91:11, 14-16). Keep him as the apple of Your eye and hide him in the shadow of Your wings (Psalm 17:8). Amen.

Paula said...

Gretchen - thanks for your prayer! I've printed it and will definitely read it to him this evening.

I love the comfort that can be found in the Psalms!!

Anonymous said...

Love the scripture you gave me earlier this week. That book "On This Day" is very good. Caleb might be interested if he likes to hear about history and random facts like that. Nathan and I have made a commitment to do our devos together every night and we just love that book you got us, "On This Day." Luv Ya!